Sunday, June 13, 2010

First Hospital Stay

On Thursday, I went into the hospital for my routine NST. While at the hospital the doctor was concerned that I was having too many strong contractions for being 33 weeks and 6 days. He decided to run a test to determine in I had a hormone in my body that is present when labor beings. Well it turned out that I tested positive for this hormone, meaning there is a good chance that I could go into full labor with in two weeks. With that information the doctor decided to give me a series of two steroid shots to help develop the lungs of the babies in case they came early. The two shots had to be given 24 hours apart. Also the doctor started me on a pill to stop the contractions. I wasn't feeling all of the contractions only the strong ones If they let the contractions build in strength their would be a point in which they wouldn't be able to stop the labor. At first the pill didn't completely stop them, they had to give me a shot of something else, which made my heart beat really fast, which definitely stopped the contractions. While at the hospital they did an ultrasound to check on the position and size of the babies. Addison is still head up and weighs about 4lb 2oz. Corbin is transverse or side ways, he was curled into a ball with his head and feet touching. The technician had a hard time getting measurement on him, she guessed that he was about 4lb 12oz. While in the hospital they monitored the babies heart rates several times and constantly monitored my contractions. I also had an IV to keep me hydrated. While in the hospital we didn't get much sleep, I found it hard to sleep with an IV and a contraction monitor strapped to my belly. Friday night, the doctor wanted to keep me another night just to monitor me more. At this point Brian and I were ready to go home. We didn't enjoy the waiting game. We were able to convince the doctor to send me home. Since I wasn't dilating at all due to the contractions. Also I agree to be on bed rest at home, and take the pill to stop my contractions every 6 hours. Also I have to go visit my doctors office at the beginning of the week (Monday or Tuesday). We got home on Friday night at about 10:15 ish and we were very excited to be home. Since I'm only 34 weeks pregnant they would really like to keep the twins in as long as possible. Since Addison has not decided to turn, it is very likely I'm going to have a c-section. The doctors would really like to keep them to 36-39 weeks. The longer they stay in me, the less time they would have to stay in NICU. I would really like to be able to take them home right away. So far I don't enjoy taking this medicine to stop my contractions, it has side causes flushing of my skin, head aches, and increased indigestion.

While in the hospital Brian decided to take a few pictures of me hanging out, enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Hope all is well!! Get lots of rest, if you need anything call us!!

    ReplyDelete